Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Out of the F@&$# Blue

So I started reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins not too long ago, and I just can't put it down. Richard Dawkins says everything I've always wanted to say, but in a much more eloquent (A.K.A. "British and intelligent") way.


Among his many qualities, Dawkins is extremely quotable. He puts things so well, and at the same offering the nice little---

2 Hours Later...

While writing this, a loud, piercing sound suddenly cuts through the air.
I glanced to the callbox, where I instantly notice
it reading the dread phrase: "UH CODE BLUE".

Instinctively, I begin shouting the room number in all directions.

The on-call PA, stepping outside her office at the ringing...pops her eyes and screams "Oh, shit!", bolting toward the patient's room.

I call 911, stamp blood gas forms for the doctor, and frantically call Rapid Response. My repetitive screaming is monotonous now, as every nurse in my section is flying to that room.

10 minutes later, the doctor calls it.

Half the nurses on my floor explode into tears.
Having never been in this situation, I find myself a little speechless as well.

I normally wouldn't write about this, especially since the situation has nothing to do with my original post. Except it does.

This patient was in good condition, had no issues that the nurse said he voiced (she was bawling afterward, saying "He never complained of anything"), and ironically said his family came regularly to pray with him for a safe recovery.

I'll have to return to what I was originally posting about at a later time.

1 comment:

Gibulet said...

I didn't know about this. I see people in bad condition all the time since we are so close to the ER, but I've never seen a code. I'm sorry, I'm glad you knew what to do though.