Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Three-quarters of the earth's surface

...is covered in butter.

I mean, why?
Why is it that every single recipe someone uses on Food Network MUST include several pounds of butter?

Unless you're Ina Garten...then you use butter AND chocolate AND cream AND 10 pounds of animal fat.

THAR SHE BLOOOOOOOOOOOWS!

Ahem...

for instance, take Ina's "Outrageous Brownies". I've pasted the ingredients only below:

1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour.
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced walnut pieces

1 POUND OF BUTTER?! I saw the show, too...It makes only 20 brownies. Give me a moment while I go tally up the amount of fat, will you?

Let's see...

1 pound butter = 32 tablespoons...which are 11g of fat each. So that's 352.

1 oz walnuts has 16g fat. 3 cups is 24.9 oz...so... 398.4 g fat there.

6 oz unsweetened chocolate (which is 7g fat per 14g serving) has 85g of fat.

1 lb + 12 oz (so 28 oz) of semi-sweet chips is 793.8 grams (and it's 4g fat per 15g of chips)....so...carry the 3.....and that's another 211.68 grams of fat.

So...to total this...
We have:
Butter = 352 g
Walnuts = 398.4 g
Unsweetened Choc. = 85 g
28 oz. chocolate chips = 211.68
-----------------------------------------
TOTAL = 1,047.08 grams of fat.
divided by 20 brownies...............
-----------------------------------------

52.34 g per brownie. 52 and a half grams of pure FAT in each brownie.

...and let's not even mention the amount of cholesterol from those eggs.

Now, I know people will say "Oh God! Like we're not supposed to have any fat in our food? How idealistic! What a radical! BLAH BLAH BLAH!"

No....you don't need enough butter and milk and shit so all you taste is pure fat. I don't know about you, but when I make chocolate brownies, I want them to taste like chocolate brownies, not BUTTERIZED SOLID.

I don't like that "I gotta give birth to a camel now!" feeling after eating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, that's my thing--I'm not anti-butter, but I don't see the point in using so much that you're essentially eating a brick of chocolate-flavored butterfudge. If that's your thing, fine, but I would feel like my pores were seeping canola oil for, like, a week.