Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Jesus Christ...I mean...shit.

With Sarah's birthday come and gone, and another one on the way for me, I've been thinking a lot lately about how time has begun whizzing by like one of those damn bees who buzzes by you really fast, then you think its gone and it buzzes back, and you're there swinging your arms around looking like a kid being attacked by Fire Ants.

But I digress.

I remember graduating from high school like it was yesterday. It was NINE FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO!

Now granted, I don't remember all of my high school years:


This picture, for example, I have no recollection of being taken. Despite the fact that my double chin is invading the western hemisphere, I have quite the baby face. Apparently it was taken on a trip to see The Phantom of the Opera.


This one was taken just before a performance of An Evening at the Ritz Ballroom, which was a mime performance we put on with a little help from Michael Lee and the Opus Mime Company. While many of us would love to forget that memory, I must admit it made me realize how much acting is about facial and bodily expression, and not just memorizing your lines and trying to pronounce the word "oilier" (nod to Serpa).

So much has changed since high school. And yet, so many things haven't. Which is I think the problem, really. I know that as my birthday rolls around, my deathly fear of turning 30 (pipe down) is mostly due to the fact that I feel like I should've been crazy successful by now. I don't remember the entirety of my 20's, but intricately remember individual years: Earning my first lead role on my 20th, getting drunk at Theo's for my 21st, falling in love in my 23rd, moving out in my 24th, getting married in my 25th...

I guess my point is that I never really noticed how accurately put the cheesy phrase "Life is composed of a series of moments" really is. You recall something here, something there, and the rest is all wallpaper.


Now, as I begin my 27th year, I'll have to focus on my Peter Ustinov impression:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The rest is all wallpaper" is a good line. I'm jealous.

Joy said...

Good post, babe. I love you, and just remember - we get to be old together.

Gibulet said...

Hey I am turning 30 this year...stop scaring me!

You look like a woman in that first pic. Specifically, Sarah.