Friday, June 20, 2008

The First Anniversary

It's already been a year.

Jesus Christ...it's already been a year!

Now I know how people stay married for 50, 60, 70, 200 years. It feels like only a few days have gone by.

It seems like only yesterday, when I saw Joy's ring online, and I frantically called Libby and told her to buy it. I told her it had to be someone Joy wouldn't know about. Sure enough, Joy goes online to see the "ring she really wants but can't afford" and someone bought it.

"Gibulet!" she yelled. "Who the hell is Gibulet! They bought my ring!"

I had to contain my chuckling.

She didn't even see it coming on the last day of "The Nerd", when her mom told her she had purchased over 40 seats for the performance. However, she told me the moment I quieted the audience after curtain call and took the microphone out of my jacket...she instantly knew.

...and so began, Dann's most embarrassing moment. Captured in photos and video alike. His hands shaking and his voice quivering like a five-year-old at a spelling bee.

She said "Yes."

Crisis averted.

The audience clapped for several minutes. Suddenly, the performance itself seemed to take the backseat, as dozens of people came up to congratulate us.

The planning began soon after.

The endless planning.

I mostly stayed clear of it. I knew Joy and her mom wanted to organize the wedding, and honestly...I didn't really care about colors or themes and all that. My usual response was "Whatever you want is fine with me, as long as it's not gaudy." I meant that sincerely. Not because I didn't care, but because I didn't want my opinion to influence what She wanted. It makes sense in a Dann sort of way.

I remember the bachelor party, where Dann drank more than he had in 10 years, making an ass of himself on his camcorder (among other things).

However, out of all the things I remember most, two memories are the strongest.

The first was getting into my suit in about 5 seconds, then pacing back and forth backstage for about an hour. Chris and Brandon performed "The Changing of the Guard", calmly taking turns coaxing me into not hyperventilating or passing out. Somewhere during this fiasco, I sent a text message to Sarah Maltby, who was providing similar support to Joy at the time. My message was simple and heartfelt:

"I think I'm gonna throw up."

The second was going out onstage, in front of all our friends and family, and seeing Joy in her dress for the first time. She looked amazing. I thought I would cry, but I didn't. I found myself wondering why I wasn't crying. I realized once she got up onstage next to me...I had nothing to cry about. I was proud. For the first time in my whole damn life, I was proud of myself. I had gotten this far, accomplished this much, and I hadn't screwed it up. It's not something to cry about.

So I smiled.
I smiled a lot that day.


It's been a whole year already. Time really flies by. Joy and I have had our share of arguments, bitter fights, tragedies and hardships...but as cliche as it sounds, it's all been worth it. When the moment is over, you look back and realize that none of it ever mattered. The only thing that ever matters is how perfect the two of you match. From taste in food to funny movies, a love of furry animals and insane Balderdash answers, to being the only people we know who want so badly to exit their wedding to "Queen".

I understand now what people mean when they say that marriage is work. It is. It's a lot of work. But no one said it was easy. But no matter what, you wake up the next day and realize the only thing you want is for the person next to you to still be there.

I love you Joy.
Happy Anniversary, babe.

Love, Dann

-

4 comments:

Mamaclsn said...

AWWWW! Happy anniversary Raffertys.

Kathy W said...

Dann - that was beautiful! (you probably hate, that don't you??) Happy anniversary, guys!!!!

Anonymous said...

The cute, it stings me. IN MY EYE. (Sniffle)

Happy Anniversary!

Gibulet said...

*sniff* Wha-this? Its nothing. No, I'm not crying. Its the dust...very dusty here. Shut up.