Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Good Deed For the Year

So today, upon returning to my car from picking up a pizza (I know, I know...it doesn't happen often, so leave me alone), I noticed a cellphone on the ground in the parking lot. Upon picking it up, I got that strange "what if this belongs to a total jerk who would just accuse me of stealing it" kinda feeling...and why are other people's phones always greasy-feeling?

Anyway, I cleaned it off, took it back home, and called the first contact that looked promising.

"Dad".


Upon calling, this monotone-sounding guy answered by saying "what?"
We were not off to a good start.

However, after many minutes of explaining the situation, telling him my name, and having to convince him that his daughter wasn't tied up in my trunk, he gave me her email address, as well as the number to the cell itself, so I could leave a message for her to check remotely.

I did both, and within an hour she called my cellphone back, and we decided to meet in front of Target, since my place is confusing to navigate the parking lot, and she couldn't give me a good idea of her address. Don't ask me why.

So I drove to Target, and found her sitting outside with her friend/boyfriend/brother.

*HERE'S THE FUNNY BIT.

She said Hi, asked if I was Dann, and I said Yes, etc...

But no sooner than when I reached out to hand her the phone, then she extended one of her hands to take it, and the other to simultaneously hand me a 20 dollar bill.

Which I quickly denied.

I told her to keep it, and I just wanted her to have her phone back. She asked if I was sure, and I said definitely. They both thanked me, and said they would instead "take this as a gift of kindness" and use it for beer.

College kids.

Anyway, the whole point here is I know most people would just leave the phone on the ground, or be afraid to track the person down, much less call their friends and say "Ummm....Hi. I'm Dann Rafferty and I have your daughter's cellphone."

But this girl assumed that she needed to pay me for something that was already hers. I know in our society today, most people steal shit instead of returning it, but it seemed odd to me that she would do that. I guess it's logical with people today....but...I dunno. It's strange.

Can't someone just give something back to it's owner without pulling the "how much is it worth to you?" card?

I'm not belittling her. Far from it. I mean...she offered me 20 bucks!

But I guess aside from trying to be nice, it felt like she offered it so expediciously that she thought I would demand it.

That 5 minute span made me question humanity. Why are we so greedy? Why is money always the most important thing? I won't get all existentialist, but I wanted to say how I felt about it. There. Done.

This struck another short chord (very short, just thought of it now), about something the religious guy Joy was chatting with online about issues in the Bible. He said that Atheists have nothing to attach their morals to (i.e. the dude upstairs) so to them, killing people should be easy...they have no moral punishment, and no reason to do anything good. I wanted to message this guy and tell him to send me the picture of him eating his hat.

Besides, the last major thing I did for someone not related to me was the 20 bucks I gave to the homeless guy sitting by the expressway 2 years ago. So I was do for another.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Hi Dann

I hesitate in even posting. But, God has prompted me to "check-in" to what you and Joy are writing now and again. And, here is one of those occasions. :) I trust you dont find this "stalking" or "obtrusive".

I'm happy to send you a Polaroid of me eating my hat. Or, since we have digital cameras, I can send it over email. :) You did a good thing.

I certainly have not suggested though that atheists aren't capable of doing good. What I was suggesting though is that what an atheist might "hang" that doing good on vs. a christian. I tried to extend the logic of a godless worldview. That if I hold that worldview, ultimately, I can deem what I see as right/wrong. There is no "standard". That has been/is the worldview held by some of the most dangerous people our world has ever seen.

I also know that you are thinking, "well, what about those radical Islamists? Or those radical christians during the crusades?" Right. But I would say that many of these actions are condemned today..by those in the "middle" saying - holding to a standard (God) - that their actions are not right. Why aren't they right? Because they are against a standard (by which God says life is sacred).

For whatever its worth. And, all in the sake of discussion.

Grace,
Aaron (the religious dude)